Mr. Hayes practices primarily in complex business litigation in U.S. District Court and California Superior Court. Mr. Hayes is a Stanford English alumnus who spent a year studying writing at the University of Oxford. He received his J.D. from USD Law, Magna Cum Laude and Order of the Coif. During law school, he served three terms as Judicial Extern for two United States District Judges, was Articles Editor for San Diego Law Review, and was Magister (President) of USD’s Chapter of the Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society.
Following law school, Mr. Hayes completed a four-year term as Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable Thomas J. Whelan, Senior U.S. District Court Judge, Southern District of California. During his clerkship, Mr. Hayes reviewed and prepared numerous federal judicial opinions, including bench briefs and memoranda of disposition at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. During this time, he also mentored more than two dozen Judicial Externs in high-pressure legal research and writing.
Prior to joining Caldarelli Hejmanowski Page & Leer LLP, Mr. Hayes was an Associate at Dentons US LLP, and at Littler Mendelson PC, two of the world’s largest law firms. His practice largely entailed strategy development and dispositive motion practice in high-profile federal litigation. During this time, he also completed intensive coursework at Harvard Business School Online in Business Analytics, Economics, Financial Accounting, and Disruptive Innovation Theory. His legal scholarship in the area of antitrust and competition law is co-published in the British Journal of American Legal Studies with Price Professor of Public Interest Law Robert C. Fellmeth.
- Stanford Community Writing Project Award (2011)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award (2012–15)—Corporations; Remedies; Pretrial Practice; Public Interest Law
- Outstanding Contributor to the California Regulatory Law Reporter (2015)
- Welsh Inn of Court Best Presentation (2016–17)
- California State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Central and Southern Districts of California
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- B.A., Stanford University (2011)
- J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif, University of San Diego School of Law (2015)
- CORe (with Honors); Disruptive Strategy, Harvard Business School Online (2020)
- Robert C. Fellmeth, Bridget Fogarty Gramme, & C. Christopher Hayes, Cartel Control of Attorney Licensure and the Public Interest, 8 British Journal of American Legal Studies
3398 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 250
San Diego, CA 92121