Ms. Janine-Page is a certified appellate specialist whose practice is appeals and civil litigation; primarily employment, securities, unfair business practices, complex business disputes, class actions, and California Environmental Quality Act. Additionally, she advises employers on employment and labor law matters, conducts internal investigations, and provides sexual harassment prevention training and other courses on employment, leave laws, and employer best practices.
Prior to college and her legal career, Marisa was a licensed investment advisor and fixed income securities trader. She graduated from the University of California Berkeley magna cum laude with double majors and received her Juris Doctor degree from Duke University School of Law, where she participated in the Business and Securities Law Association and the Prisoner Rights Project.
In addition to her accomplishments in the courtroom, Marisa is an active member in the community, guest judging mock trial and moot court competitions at the high school, college, and law school levels, mentoring students interested in careers in the law, and sewing costumes for local high school thespians. In 2018, Marisa co-founded Josh’s Smile~Beyond the Chair, a non-profit charity that gives “smiles” to terminally-ill, wheelchair-bound adults and educates the next generation to look beyond the wheelchair and see the person. Marisa led the Association of Business Trial Lawyers in partnering with the National Association of Women Judges on its Informed Voter Project, appearing on radio and in community forums to educate California voters of the importance of fair and free courts. In 2014, Marisa initiated and presided over San Diego’s inaugural Bench and Bar Summit where San Diego’s state, federal, and appellate judges as well as local Bar leaders gathered to discuss critical issues facing the Courts and legal community during the 2013-2014 sequestration. Marisa was recognized nationally by the American Association of Birth Centers for her pro bono services to midwifery and birthing centers. Marisa also served as a guardian ad litem advocate for abused children in California and North Carolina.
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell (Peer Review Rated)
- San Diego “Super Lawyers,” Business Litigation (2012-2022)
- San Diego Magazine Top Lawyers (2016-2022)
- San Diego Magazine Woman of the Year Legal Industry Finalist (2020)
- San Diego Business Journal Best of the Bar (2016-2018)
- American Association of Birth Centers’ Professional Community Award (2008)
- California State Bar
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts (Southern, Northern, Central, and Eastern)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Board of Governors 2006 to present; Past President 2014; Mock Trial Tournament Co-Chair 2018-2022)
- Duke University Alumni Association Board – San Diego Chapter (2020-present)
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., Magna Cum Laude (1995)
- Duke University School of Law J.D. (1998)
- Jury trial verdict and judgment in favor of employer defending against gender and disability discrimination and retaliation claims.
- Appeal affirming trial court had jurisdiction to decide motion to compel arbitration by law firm against former clients where contract did not have a delegation clause.
- Appeal affirming Superior Court judgment in favor of plaintiff employee’s labor code claims.
- Appeal affirming summary judgment for County and real-party-in-interest on CEQA, Williamson Act, and regulatory compliance claims.
- Dismissal of PAGA and individual claims for employer defending against misclassification claims.
- Summary judgment for local San Diego restaurants defending against class allegations of CLRA, UCL, and FAL violations.
- Summary judgment for employer defending against FEHA and other discrimination claims.
- Jury trial verdict for employer defending against FEHA and other discrimination claims.
- Successful sanctions motion for attorneys’ fees against Plaintiff and her attorney for filing frivolous FEHA complaint.
- Arbitration award in favor of Plaintiff employee against former employer for labor code violations and breach of contract.
- Successful jury and bench trial on complex civil matter involving breach of fiduciary duty and contribution claims.
- Defeated class certification and achieved ultimate dismissal of all claims against newspaper distributors for employment misclassification.
- Defense judgment in favor of large developer alleged to violate CEQA.
- Petitioner’s verdict in favor of parent action group alleging CEQA claims against City.
- Defense summary judgment of non-infringement in favor or GPS technology company.
- Zero Tolerance: Preventing Sexual Harassment in the Workplace (a one or two hour course that meets California’s employer training requirements)
- Best Business Practices for California Employers and Managers (a two hour course)
- California Lawyers Association, 2022 Annual Meeting – Ethics in Mediation (Panelist)
- The Preuss School UC San Diego, 2021 Careers Speaker Series – Careers in Law (Panelist)
- Associate of Business Trial Lawyers, 2019 Annual Seminar – Jury Expectations (Moderator/Panelist)
- California Restaurants Association, 2019 San Diego Chapter Annual Meeting – #MeToo Legislation
- California Western School of Law, 2013 – Women in the Legal Profession
3398 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 250
San Diego, CA 92121