Mr. West represents clients in all aspects of commercial litigation, focusing particularly on intellectual property matters involving trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights, and patents. In addition, Ben has handled a wide variety of commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts, including disputes involving the Uniform Commercial Code, non-compete agreements, rights of publicity, false advertising, securities, antitrust, and personal injury.
- Achieved a unanimous jury verdict on behalf of a furniture manufacturer in a case against its lumber supplier. The client was awarded nearly $5 million in damages for breach of contract, breach of the implied warranties, and violation of the federal Consumer Products Safety Act.
- Achieved a unanimous jury verdict of $1 million in damages on behalf of a client who suffered personal injuries when a delivery truck negligently backed over the client.
- In a multi-day arbitration, successfully represented a client accused of breaching a non-compete agreement. The arbitrator absolved client of all accused wrong doing and awarded client his attorneys’ fees.
- Part of the trial team that obtained a multi-million dollar trade secret verdict for a client whose former employees stole valuable trade secrets and established a competing business.
- Counsel to a New York-based law firm alleged to have engaged in the unlawful practice of law in California while conducting an investigation related to the City of San Diego’s pension fund crisis.
- Counsel to a major American brewer in a case alleging trade dress infringement and copyright infringement.
- Achieved the dismissal of antitrust claims against a group of physicians in an action based on a decision of a Northern Nevada hospital to regulate certain types of surgical procedures.
- Achieved the dismissal of antitrust claims against a trade association in an action based on practices in the bowling industry.
- Successfully represented homeowners in litigation against the developer of a major Las Vegas casino.
- San Diego “Super Lawyers,” Business Litigation (2021-2023 CA)
- State Bars of California and Nevada
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Central Districts of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Brigham Young University – Juris Doctor, 2002 Editor, Brigham Young University Law Review; Order of the Barristers.
- Intern for the Hon. Dee Benson, United States District Court for the District of Utah.
- Brigham Young University – Bachelor of Arts, 1998
3398 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 250
San Diego, CA 92121