Mr. Leer’s practice encompasses a broad range of commercial litigation and business matters. He prides himself on solving problems for his clients, and understands the need for creative, efficient and effective solutions. When all else fails, Mr. Leer’s experience as a lead trial attorney in both state and federal courtrooms gives him the skill and experience necessary to see complex business disputes all the way through trial.
Mr. Leer routinely represents clients in real estate disputes, including judicial and non-judicial foreclosures, mechanic’s liens and other construction matters, purchase and sale agreements, condemnations, and leases. His representative matters also include partnership, shareholder and corporate management disputes and intellectual property litigation involving license agreements, misappropriation of trade secrets, and trademark and patent infringement claims.
Mr. Leer has combined his interest in San Diego’s growing craft beer industry with his practice of law. He now puts his legal and practical experience to use in advising brewers and other clients in the craft beer industry as they grow their businesses and tackle the challenges of the explosive demand for craft beer. In addition to representing brewers in litigation like trademark infringement actions and lease disputes, Mr. Leer works with a network of professionals capable of assisting clients with everything from entity formation, financing and licensing to employment issues and trademark protection.
From 1996 to 2000, Mr. Leer served in the United States Navy Judge Advocate General’s (“JAG”) Corps in Norfolk, Virginia. In three years on active duty, he served as both defense counsel and prosecutor in criminal courts martial and other administrative and disciplinary proceedings. In courts from Keflavik, Iceland to Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, he tried cases ranging from minor drug offenses to felony-level charges of financial fraud, theft of explosives, sexual assault, and rape. In his final year of active duty, Mr. Leer served as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, prosecuting civilians who committed crimes on military bases and other Federal property in the Hampton Roads area. After leaving the Navy, Mr. Leer joined the law firm of Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek, where he worked for thirteen years before joining Caldarelli Hejmanowski & Page.
- The Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and Construction Litigation (2013-2019)
- San Diego “Super Lawyers,” Top 50 in San Diego (2016-2018)
- San Diego “Super Lawyers,” Business Litigation (2013-2018)
- San Diego Business Journal’s Best of the Bar (2015, 2017)
- San Diego Daily Transcript Top Attorneys in San Diego, Real Estate/Construction Litigation (2013)
- California State Bar
- District Court, Southern, Central, and Northern Districts of California
- District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- San Diego County Bar Association (Legal Ethics Committee 2008-2013, Chair 2012; Member of Leadership Outreach Committee 2012-2014)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Board of Governors since 2008; President 2015)
- Louis Welsh Chapter, American Inns of Court
- San Diego County Law Enforcement Foundation (Board of Directors 2001-2013, President 2008-2009)
- San Diego Yacht Club
- YMCA Adventure Clubs – Shawridge Tribe, Wildcat Nation
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles (1993)
- J.D., University of San Diego (1996)
12340 El Camino Real, Suite 430
San Diego, CA 92130